The lapse of luxury

"It is bitter to have loved and lost than never to laugh it off," Bamuall Subtler

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Homo's pun wisdom

There have been no posts for many days because I've been a victim of my own disorganized thinking. But this isn't going to stop me from posting any longer. Why don't I post lists of disordered thoughts? Hopefully there will many more editions of Homo's Pun Wisdom, as well as lists of paradoxes, subjects that I've never heard songs about, and human behaviours which should be banned.

Some people don't get puns; these people are the groaners, those who groan. On my off days I groan too. But on my good days the meaningless pun gives me a tiny satori, a petty mort (petite more). I don't get this flash of joy because the pun is funny - that couldn't be possible. Maybe it's because the pun reveals the flaws in our thinking - after all, rationally we shouldn't accept most puns - usually meaningless word plays on thoughts which formerly made sense. And knowing how we don't know is more telling than the truth.

A street person at Commercial & Broadway held a sign: "I'm broker than the 10 Commandments." This shouldn't be funny, but it made me laugh - laugh enough to spare some change. And it shouldn't be funny because "broker" does not mean more broken. Yet we recognize the homophony and we make false connections between discreet thoughts.

So, the meaning of a pun is often pointless, but its always for a good cause. Well, before I get hung up I'll drop the phoneme.

  1. keep out of harem's way
  2. the lengths a ruler will go to
  3. I smelt something fishy
  4. a tenant of our faith
  5. faux pause
  6. colour is a dyer need
  7. mail bonding
  8. face, the see-side
  9. a merde of cows
  10. infant isle: try all of the innocents

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home